Saturday, August 13, 2011
MLB Home Jerseys - Plotting to a Bell Curve!
The card from last night got me thinking about MLB jerseys. Which ones are aesthetically best? Which ones are aesthetically blah?
Rather than doing a straight up ranking, I plotted them along a bell curve. Right is "best", left is "worst". I hate to say "worst", because all (most) of these designs are still pretty cool.
- Only use the standard home jersey. Which is a shame, because some alternates are hideous (Oakland) and some alternates are better than the originals (Arizona, Atlanta). But it was necessary to keep the thought experiment doable in under an hour.
- I went with my gut reaction on each one, giving myself about 10 seconds to decide. Afterward I rearranged maybe 3 or 4 based on seeing them all together.
I was curious to see if any biases would play out, like favorite teams, recent level of play, that kind of thing. What I found was:
- I generally like scripted fonts over block fonts
- I really must like pinstripes
- I tend to prefer a clean look and color scheme over an 'embossed' looking design
- I may have a slight regional bias to the midwest
- The Padres "P" really offends me. It looks like a distorted Double Tree Hotels logo
- Astros, wow! I really dig the color scheme and pinstripes. Opinions probably vary on this one.
- I really like the Rays color scheme, but someone once pointed it out that it was nearly identical to a grocery store chain. It was eery. Wish I still had the link!
- I wish the Diamondbacks, Blue Jays and Rangers would go back to their old jerseys!
Posted by Dave at 9:49 AM