Tribute to 1992 Fleer Ultra - Billy Butler ... and a post-mortem on Trey Hillman

Billy Butler, Kansas City Royals
Tribute to 1992 Fleer Ultra
by Goose Joak

This one is for Royals Scorecards.  If you haven't checked out his blog yet, please do.  I really like what he's doing.

I remember back in 1992 when this was about as awesome as you could get.  Full bleed photos, gold foil stamping and MARBLE!  Yes, I think it was the marble that made this set stand out.  Ken Griffey, Jr.'s base card booked for $10 or something.  Still a pretty neat looking set.

In other news, the Royals have fired their manager.  This has been met with a mix of "it's about time" and "but what else could he have done with the talent he had?" by Royals fans.  Me, I am sorry to see him go.  He made strange some tactical decisions at times, but show me a manager who doesn't.  He seemed like a very likable guy.

I'll never be able to prove anything, but in my opinion a lot of the frustrating personnel decisions (such as keeping Kila on the bench, Soria in the bullpen) have more to do with the front office than the field office in K.C.  So I guess I don't really hold Hillman accountable.

Trey Hillman, Kansas City Royals
2009 Goose Joak Original

I'm sorry to see him go.

Comments

  1. Amazing card as usual! If any of the card companies put out a set that looked this good, I think they might be able to support multiple licenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "shout out" Dave! :) Glad you are enjoying the scorecards, and how did you know Billy was my favorite Royal? I'm still way behind on posting up the 'cards but I'm hoping to be almost current in the next day or so. Love the cards as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment