Tribute to 1991 Donruss Elite Series - Mike Aviles

Mike Aviles, Omaha/Kansas City Royals
Tribute to 1991 Donruss Elite Series
by Goose Joak

If you've been around the blog a while, you know that I'm a huge fan of these cards.  They are my all time favorite set.  Here's a shot of Aviles in powder blue.  With Chris Getz hitting under .200, it may be just a matter of time before Mike gets some regular playing time.  Not that I'm rooting against Getz.  I want them both to do well!

If I had to rank my favorite active players it would look something like:


Some of my other buddies include, in no particular order:

Then I could get really absurd and list guys like Will Venable and John Buck.  I guess I have lot of love to go around.

I would also include Kelvim Escobar, but that requires a stretch of the imagination.  He's not very active these days.  Neither is Brian Buchanan.

Ricky Nolasco has long been a favorite but he is venturing off into the DTM woods this year.  I hope he comes back before it is too late but I'm losing my patience!

I hope you enjoy clicking through the cards!

Comments

  1. No Billy Butler? Thats gotta be my favorite Royal. I love the quote attributed to his dad (I'm paraphrasing here) "The only time Billy looks like a major league player is when he is in the batters box". Love that dude. Love the cards, I've been absent awhile, but my road trip ends this Saturday, and you can expect to see me around again soon. Watch for a scorecard flood lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I forgot about Billy! He was a favorite of ours when he was at Omaha. I completely hear what you're saying about him only looking like a major leaguer when he's hitting. We saw him fall down on his way to first base -- twice! It's funny that an athlete could be so disciplined and coordinated doing something complex, like swinging a bat, then take a 180 degree turn with a simple task like running. And that's part of what makes him so charming!

    Hope you've enjoyed the road trip. Always looking forward to more posts. I'll have to see, perhaps a Billy themed card will now be in the works :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment