Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tribute to 1970 Topps - Mike Jacobs

Reactions: 
Was I up to the challenge?

Here's the original of Jacobs in a Marlins uniform. I've transformed him into a Kansas City Royal by way of 1970 Topps.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. This is the first time I've photoshopped an entirely new uniform onto a player.

The main challenge was selecting a good picture. I wanted something straight on so it would be easier to apply the Royals logo.

Another consideration was the choice of Marlin uniforms at my disposal. I could choose between black, teal pinstripe and gray. I was unable to find a gray one that would work very well, so I went with the black jersey. I had to finagle with the color for a long time to get it to look right, but eventually I got it pretty close. Here's what a real picture of the jersey looks like.

Hope you enjoy! As I mentioned, Jacobs is featured here in the style of 1970 Topps.

7 comments:

  1. I should mention -- I thought about using this photo with the highly acclaimed 1971 Topps design, but alas, that was too intimidating, at least for this first try. I wanted to warm up with the '70 set first. Night Owl, I hope you can understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, man! I wish I had the patience to learn how to use Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty damn good. Better than Topps photoshops in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! That came out way better than I would have ever expected. You have put Topps to shame. Great work! I guess next time, I will have to really challenge you. No more kiddie requests.
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That takes some skill. Great job with photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the 1970s gray is a beginner's level to the awesomeness of 1971 black!

    But that in no way is taking away from your Jacobs card. I could never do what you did.

    ReplyDelete