Tribute to 1990 Fleer Soaring Stars - Carlos Pena

I never collected 1990 Fleer Soaring Stars as a kid. In fact I didn't even know this subset existed until just this week!

I saw the design over at Autographed Cards. Immediately I was floored by how cool the design was. It is like a cross between Rainbow Brite and my old grade school gym.

Carlos Pena was an easy choice here. He was a key pickup on my wife's fantasy baseball team two years ago. He was amazing that year -- second in the entire AL with an adjusted OPS+ of 172.

With a good (not great) follow up year in 2008 and some national exposure in the playoffs, it's not surprising that Carlos Pena is much more of a household name today than he was two years ago. In fact in some regards, he has gone from underrated to nearly overrated by some (there I go again, trying to get you to read about fantasy baseball).

Hope you enjoy the card! It's the first card I've done with a design that I've never seen in person.

Comments

  1. "my wife's fantasy team" ... Wow. My wife knows who Roger Clemens is. And Barry Bonds. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, thanks again for the hype. That's awesome that your wife is so into fantasy baseball. My wife and are in a league together and it's become tradition that we always make the first trade of the season. Keep up the good work. My fav card collection was Topps 1990. That was the year I really started to get into baseball cards. I almost have that entire collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeff! I got the address, and I'll get those cards out to you soon. I removed it from the blog in case of any luneys out there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work. That looks really nice. It didn't take you long to do something with the Soaring Stars. Thanks for the shout out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great site! I found you via zman40's site. You've done some really neat cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice words everybody. This card was a lot of fun to make. Half of the bat is fake, and I had to draw in part of Pena's shoulder (obscured by an umpire's arm in the photo), so I'm glad nobody seemed to notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That makes it even better. Now that you mention it, I can tell you did some work on the bat. But, the shoulder looks %100 real. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment